I spoke on a really impressive panel on how social media is reshaping the world of public-relations this morning at the Mid-America Marketing Summit at USA Today's headquarters.
- Paul Mackie, Director of Communications, Mobility Lab
- Mike Smith, CEO, MSBD
- Elizabeth Shea, President and CEO, SpeakerBox
- Moderator: Jeff Davis, Partner, Sawmill Marketing Public Relations
It was an honor to be asked to speak on a panel with the likes of PBS's digital marketing director and other pros.
My main points were:
- That PR work is more transparent than ever, especially with social media
- Be great at social media, don't simply hand it over to an intern because it's simply too crucial to your full suite of strategic communications
- One of the most important traits of a consistently great PR person is the ability to be friendly, helpful, and a person who gets great stories out of himself and clients
- The ability to build an army of collaborators to help you spread your messages (on both social media and in person)
- Make your issues relevant, no matter how hard your organization may push back on that
- Practice and hone your storytelling and writing by having your own blog (on whatever topic you like)
Conference sponsor Speakerbox also covers our panel nicely here.